For those visiting Rome, a stop not to be missed, his the famous Villa Torlonia. A complex that is located about 2 kilometers from Porta Pia and owes its name to the homonymous family, the Torlonia bankers precisely, bought the property it in 1797 and have asked to Giuseppe Valadier to build a masterpiece of Palladian architecture. The property has an old story that, however, has its roots in an earlier period from 1600, when it was an agricultural property of the Pamphilj, a noble family of Rome very close to papal politics.
Villa Torlonia through the years
Over the years Villa Torlonia has had many uses: in 1925 it became the residence of Mussolini and remained until 1943. During his stay, the Duce had built several bunkers to protect themselves against any allied bombing. After the death of Mussolini, in 1945, the villa was occupied by the troops of the Anglo – American command until 1947.
Finally in 1977 Villa Torlonia was finally bought by the Municipality of Rome and opened to the public. From here begins a period of restoration of the villa to bring it back to its former glory: interventions that have affected the building itself; and the surrounding parks.
Today Villa Torlonia is composed of a series of complexes of great interest, among which the Casina delle Civette, home of the homonymous museum; and then the Scuderie Nuove, the Villino Rosso, the Medieval Villino the Roman School, the Palazzo itself.
Guided tour to visit to Villa Torlonia with the Casina delle Civette
One of the points of greatest interest is the Casina delle Civette: a particular Art Nouveau monument behind which is hidden a fairy-tale building.
The name ‘Casina delle Civette’ is rather explanatory of the style: it was created by the Prince Giovanni Torlonia, who, in 1840, called the famous Venetian landscape architect Giuseppe Jappelli to give life to this visionary project, a building that served as an escape for the prince himself compared to the institutional profile of the main residence.
Over the years the Casina delle Civette has been appealed, thanks to its appearance, with several names including the Swiss Capanna; this is because, in some ways, it can remember an alpine refuge. Today the Casina delle Civette is home to a museum of the same name that seems to come out of a book of fairy tales: the museum is located inside the park of Villa Torlonia and attracts the curiosity of many visitors.
One of the hidden beauties of the Capital, an alternative place to visit in Rome; the name Casina delle Civette, which derives from the fact that the owls are a recurrent decoration in stained glass and majolica, is now recommended by tour guides to see the capital from another perspective and enjoy alternative views of the most famous monuments of Rome.